Tennessee Permit Expediter

Tennessee Permit Expediter Service

Building permits are a standard requirement in all 50 states, including Tennessee, for commercial, residential, and industrial construction that goes beyond a DIY project.

Each state has its own nuanced regulations, so it is important to either familiarize yourself with local building laws or secure the services of a permit expedite such as Express Permits.

About Tennessee Commercial Construction Permits

The State of Tennessee Standard Building Code is written to assist design professionals to prepare and submit their plans and specifications regardless of the size or scope of the project.

Tennessee requires not only permits but a licensed design professional in the following circumstances:

  • Assembly occupancy. Buildings or structures for the gathering of 50 more people where civic, social, religious, recreation or food/drink consumption takes place.
  • Business occupancy. Use of a building or structure that includes normal accessory storage and the keeping of records or accounts.
  • Educational occupancy. Any building or structure that gathers individuals for the purpose of instruction.
  • Factory-industrial occupancy. Any building or structure where assembling, dissembling, fabricating, etc., takes place. A separate permit is required for any building that houses flammable, combustible or explosive products.
  • Institutional occupancy. A permit is required for this type of building whether individuals are restrained, provided medical care or sleeping facilities for four or more people.
  • Mercantile occupancy. Any display or sale of merchandise is covered by this permit. A special permit is required for any building two or more stories in height that occupy 5,000 or more square feet.
  • Residential occupancy. The use of a building or structure for sleeping accommodations not classified as institutional. This includes dwellings, hotels, motels, dormitories an the like.
  • Storage occupancy. Any building or structure with the principle use of storage not classified as hazardous.

Other projects requiring just a permit include:

  • One-family and two-family dwellings.
  • Farm buildings not designed for human occupancy.
  • Signs that do not exceed 20 feet or more above ground or 120 square feet in size.

Tennessee does reserve the right to require the services of a registered architect, engineer or landscape architect for any proposed project.

Additional building codes are required within metropolitan areas, specifically the Nashville Building Department - known locally as METRO - and Memphis. The most common Nashville building e-permits questions revolve around sheds and detached storage spaces.

The City of Knoxville building permits also bring their own requirements, so research is useful.

Real estate forms and documents can be through traditional paper means. Most also can be submitted electronically, including through Express Permits’ Express Recorder (in the counties listed below).

Helpful Information & Links

Tennessee Building Energy Codes
Tennessee International Code Council (ICC)
Tennessee Contractor License
Tennessee Contractor License Requirements
Tennessee Contractor License Renewal & Revisions

Tennessee State Code Department for Construction
State Building Official
500 James Robertson Pkwy
Nashville, TN 37243
(P) 615.741.2981
(F) 615.741.1583

More Information & Help

Express Permits has been providing permit expediting in Tennessee and throughout the United States since 2006. We handle commercial, industrial, institutional, and other types of projects.

Call or email us today for information on how permit expediting services in Tennessee can help you move your project forward faster.

Get a Quote

Find Permit Expediting Services Available for the Cities of:

Bartlett, Belle Meade, Bristol, Chattanooga, Clarksville, Cleveland, Columbia, Dover, Elizabethton, Franklin, Gatlinburg, Germantown, Harriman, Harrogate, Jackson, Johnson City, Kingsport, Knoxville, Lebanon, Lynchburg, Maryville, Memphis, Morristown, Murfreesboro, Nashville, Oak Ridge, Paris, Pigeon Forge, Rogersville, Sevierville, Shelbyville, Townsend and Tusculum.

Find Permit Expediting Services Available for the Counties of:

Adams, Alcoa, Algood, Allardt, Ardmore, Athens, Baneberry, Bartlett, Bean Station, Bells, Berry Hill, Bluff City, Bolivar, Brentwood, Brownsville, Camden, Cedar Hill, Celina, Charleston, Church Hill, Clarksville, Clifton, Clinton, Coalmont, Collegedale, Collinwood, Cookeville, Copperhill, Covington, Cowan, Crab Orchard, Cross Plains, Crossville, Crump, Dayton, Dechard, Ducktown, Dunlap, Dyer, Dyersburg, Eagleville, East Ridge, Elkton, Etowah, Fairview, Fayetteville, Finger, Forest Hills, Friendship, Gallatin, Gallaway, Gilt Edge, Goodlettsville, Grand Junction, Greenback, Greenfield, Gruetli-Laager, Henderson, Hendersonville, Hohenwald, Humboldt, Jamestown, Jefferson City, Jellico, Kingston, La Vergne, Lafayette, LaFollette, Lakeland, Lakesite, Lawrenceburg, Lenoir City, Lewisburg, Lexington, Lobelville, Loretto, Luttrell, Madisonville, Manchester, Maynardville, McEwen, McKenzie, McMinnville, Medina, Medon, Middleton, Milan, Millersville, Millington, Minor Hill, Michellville, Moscow, Mount Juliet, Mount Pleasant, Munford, New Hope, Newport, Niota, Norris, Oak Hill, Orlinda, Parkers Crossroads, Parsons, Philadelphia, Pikeville, Piperton, Plainview, Pleasant View, Portland, Pulaski, Puryear, Ramer, Red Bank, Red Boiling Springs, Ridgeside, Ridgetop, Ripley, Rockford, Rockwood, Rocky Top, Saint Joseph, Savannah, Smithville, Soddy-Daisy, South Fulton, South Pittsburg, Sparta, Spring Hill, Springfield, Sunbright, Sweetwater, Three Way, Trenton, Tullahoma, Union City, Wartburg, Watauga, Waynesboro, White House, Whitwell, Williston, Winchester, Woodland Mills and Yorkville.

Find Permit Expediting Services Available for the Municipalities of:

Abel, Abernant, Acmar, Ada, Adger, Alabama City, Alabama Port, Alberta, Alden, Allen, Alma, Almond, Alpine, Alton, Anne Manie, Aquilla, Arkadelphia, Arlington, Armstrong, Awin, Bangor, Bankston, Barfield, Barnett’s Crossroads, Barlow, Barney, Bassetts Creek, Battens Crossroads, Bazemore, Belle Mina, Belleville, Bellwood, Beulah, Big Cove, Bigbee, Birmingport, Bladon Springs, Blount Springs, Bluff, Bolinger, Bolling, Bon Secour, Booth, Bradford, Bradley, Braggs, Bremen, Branchville, Brierfield, Bromley, Brooklyn, Brooksville, Browns, Brownsboro, Bryant, Buena Vista, Buhl, Bull Slough, Burkville, Burmuda, Burningtree Mountain, Burnt Corn, Burntout, Burnwell, Caddo, Cahaba, Campbell, Capshaw, Cecil, Centerville, Chancellor, Chapman, Claud, Clopton, Cloverdale, Coden, Cook Springs, Corner, Cottondale, Cottonton, Coy, Cragford, Crane Hill, Crawford, Cromwell, Crosston, Dallas, Danville, Dawson, De Armanville, Delmar, Dickinson, Dixiana, Dixons Mills, Docena, Dolomite, Duncanville, Eastaboga, Eight Mile, Elgin, Empire, Equality, Flat Rock, Fort McClellan, Fort Mitchell, Fort Morgan, Franklin, Gallion, Gorham’s Bluff, Grady, Greenhill, Green Pond, Grove Oak, Gum Springs, Higdon, Highland Home, Holy Trinity, Hoods Crossroads, Hope Hull, Houston, Hulaco, Inverness, Irvington, Jack, Java, Kellerman, Kent, Kimbrough, Knoxville, Lacey’s Spring, Lacon, Lake Purdy, Le Moyne, Lenox, Letohatchee, Lillian, Lower Peachtree, Majestic, Marion Junction, Marvyn, Masseyline, McCalla, Mellow Valley, Millers Ferry, Mon Louis, Montrose, Morgan City, Moulton Heights, Mount High, Mount Hope, Mount Meigs, Mountain Creek, Newell, Normal, oak Grove, Oakville, Orion, Palmerdale, Perote, Peterson, Plantersville, Prairieville, Quinton, Ralph, Ramer, Range, Red Hill, Remlap, Safford, Saginaw, Salem, Samantha, Sawyerville, Sayre, Seale, Selfville, Seminole, Semmes, Snow Hill, Spring Hill, Spring Valley, Sprott, St Clair Springs, Stapleton, Stockton, Straight Mountain, Summit, Tannehill, Tanner, Tensaw, Valhermoso Springs, Verbena, Village Springs, Vineland, Vinemont, Wagarville, Wallace, Watson, Waugh, Wilmer, Winterboro, Wren and Yellow Pine.

Find Permit Expediting Services Available for the Towns of:

Adamsville, Alamo, Alexandria, Altamont, Arlington, Ashland City, Atoka, Atwood, Auburntown, Baileyton, Baxter, Beersheba Springs, Bell Buckle, Benton, Bethel Springs, Big Sandy, Blaine, Braden, Bradford, Brighton, Bruceton, Bulls Gap, Burlison, Burns, Byrdstown, Calhoun, Carthage, Caryville, Centertown, Centerville, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Clarksburg, Collierville, Coopertown, Cornersville, Cottage Grove, Cumberland City, Cumberland Gap, Dandridge, Decatur, Decaturville, Dowelltown, Doyle, Dresden, Eastview, Englewood, Enville, Erwin, Estill Springs, Ethridge, Farragut, Gadsden, Gainesboro, Garland, Gates, Gibson, Gleason, Gordonsville, Graysville, Greenbrier, Greeneville, Guys, Halls, Hartsville, Henning, Henry, Hickory Valley, Hollow Rock, Hornbeak, Hornsby, Huntingdon, Huntland, Huntsville, Jacksboro, Jasper, Johnesborough, Kenton, Kimball, Kingston Springs, La Grange, Liberty, Linden, Livingston, Lookout Mountain, Loudon, Louisville, Lynnville, Mason, Maury City, McLemoresville, Michie, Milledgeville, Monteagle, Monterey, Morrison, Mosheim, Mount Carmel, Mountain City, New Market, Mew Tazewell, Newbern, Nolensville, Normandy, Oakdale, Oakland, Obion, Oliver Springs, Oneida, Orme, Palmer, Parrottsville, Pegram, Petersburg, Pittman Center, Pleasant Hill, Powells Crossroads, Ridgely, Rives, Rogersville, Rossville, Rutherford, Rutledge, Saltillo, Samburg, Sardis, Saulsbury, Scotts Hill, Selmer, Sharon, Signal Mountain, Silerton, Slayden, Smyrna, Sneedville, Somerville, South Carthage, Spencer, Spring City, Stanton, Stantonville, Surgoinsville, Tazewell, Tellico Plains, Tennessee Ridge, Thompson’s Station, Tiptonville, Toone, Tracy City, Trezevant, Trimble, Troy, Unicoi, Vanleer, Viola, Vonore, Walden, Wartrace, Watertown, Westmoreland, White Bluff, White Pine, Winfield and Woodbury.

Tennessee Counties Accepting Digitally Filed Real Estate and Legal Documents:

Express Permits works with the following Tennessee counties to digitally file real estate and legal documents via Express Recorder:

Anderson, Bedford, Benton, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Cannon, Carroll, Carter, Cheatham, Chester, Clay, Cocke, Coffee, Cumberland, Davidson, DeKalb, Dickson, Dyer, Franklin, Gibson, Greene, Grundy, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hardeman, Hardin, Hawkins, Hickman, Humphreys, Jackson, Johnson, Knox, Lauderdale, Larence, Madison, Marshall, Maury, McMinn, McNairy, Montgomery, Morgan, Obion, Overton, Putnam, Robertson, Rutherford, Scott, Sequatchie, Sevier, Shelby, Sullivan, Sumner, Unicoi, Union, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wakley, Williamson, Wilson.

Additional Counties are available, please contact us concerning the County you would be interested in receiving assistance.